Sunday, June 8, 2008

Evening Attire: Gallant Gelding

"Tomorrow" has turned into more than a week as real life has a way of intruding on my blogging time, but I promise I will address the issue of breeding for soundness versus speed soon. And the Belmont, too.

Before I get to any of that though, I just wanted to give mad props to Evening Attire, that gallant grey gelding, who made his 68th start this past Friday. He has been running consistently, year in, year out, since starting his career eight years ago. His most recent start was the Brooklyn Handicap, a race which has been restored to its 12 furlong glory (much to my delight), and you'd never have guessed that Evening Attire is 10 years old. He came from way back as usual, closed nicely in the stretch, and nabbed second only 2 lengths behind the winner. A grand performance from a grand old man. We need to be breeding more tough warriors like him.

1 comment:

CJ said...

I was cheering for Better Talk Now on Saturday at Belmont in his 40-somethingth start in the Manhattan. I was so thrilled when he got it last year at age 8, but no luck this time.